Andrew - Jenny- Blake

Andrew - Jenny- Blake

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Birthdays, Cake, and Sunday Fun

On Sunday we celebrated my sister Christy's birthday.  We had a nice dinner at my cousin Sarah's house, and then enjoyed cake.  (Thanks Sarah!!!) Christy wanted a "fruity cake" over chocolate.  So I pulled out my new favorite cook book, "Miss Kay's Duck Commander Kitchen", and decided to try the banana cake.  It was amazing!  My brother got me the cookbook for Christmas, and the cake and cookie recipes I have tried have all been delicious.  Of course with any recipe I always have to put my own spin on it.  Mainly if its a cookie, cake, or frosting and it doesn't call for vanilla, I will always add it in.  My rule is to always make a recipe your own!

Blake had his 4 month doctor appointment 9 days after his 4 month birthday, yesterday.  He was so good.  Just smiling at everyone.  Of course then came the shots :/ but he handled those well too.  The poor boy has had an intestinal virus and had lost a little less than 2 lbs.  So my little baby with the chubby belly has lost some of that chub.  He came in at 14.8 lbs and almost 27 inches! Talk about long and lean!  Overall he has become such a happy baby, with a stubborn streak!  My mom told me early on, I had to decide if Blake was my boss or if I was Blake's.  Blake has figured out his mom is boss.  Now hopefully we can work on sleeping through the night again. Ever since his colds (3 of them) he has wanted a 4 am feeding.  Oh well, it's a process right!






Banana Cake with Caramel Icing

Cake:
2 1/2 c. flour or cake flour
1 2/3 c. sugar
1 1/4 t. baking powder
1 1/4 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
2/3 c. Crisco
1 t. vanilla
1/3 c. Buttermilk
2 mashed bananas
2 large eggs
2/3 c. pecans or walnuts  OPTIONAL

Frosting:
1 stick (1/2 c.) butter
1 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. milk
1 t. vanilla
3+ c. powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease your pans (I use Bakers Joy or Pam Baking with Flour spray.)  Use either 2 cake rounds or 9-13' pan.  Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.  Beat the Crisco and sugar.  Add eggs and vanilla.  Once fully mixed alternate adding buttermilk and flour mixture.  Starting and ending with flour.  Fold in bananas and nuts.  Bake for 10 mins on 350, then lower the temp to 325 and bake for 20-40 mins depending on your oven.

Pull the cake out and cool slightly. Poke some holes.  Melt butter in a saucepan on medium low heat.  Add the brown sugar and bring up the heat to medium.  stirring constantly bring up to a boil for 2 minutes.  Add milk and bring back up to a boil.  Bring off the burner and let cool slightly.  Stir in vanilla.  With an electric beater, add in the pwd sugar until it reaches desired consistency and sweetness.  Frost.  Enjoy with some ice cream or on its own!  We used Butter Pecan ice cream..... YUM!

2 comments:

  1. WOW- this looks amazing! I can't wait to try. Did you use really ripe bananas or just OK bananas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always use them once they have spots. I learned once that once thy go brown they actually are bitter in the recipes, but are sweetest when the spots appear. (I don't really know if that's true or not)

      Delete